Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Your Witness Follows you Everywhere

As Christians, we need to be fully aware that we are always witnessing whether or not we are trying to. We are witnessing through our words, actions, patience, care, reactions, and much much more. People should be able to see Jesus through us in every situation and circumstance.

There have been many people in life that I have known automatically that they were Christian just by the way they acted. I hope that people see that in me, but I'm sure I come short many times. I tend to be very passionate about certain things in life. If I you hit my hot button in the opposite direction, you might see some of that passion, and I fully admit that. God has really held my tongue in the past few years though. I'm not saying that I never fail. I do, but the past few years, God has really taken those snappy comebacks away from my lips. Usually I end up just removing myself from the situation and going to pray. It works much better in the end.

Hannah has signed up for Upward Cheer. I had never received the phone call from the coach about practices, so I called the church and tracked her down. To make a very long story short, she was rude and snotty about had many excuses for not contacting me (which was her responsibility in the first place). She really did not say one kind word to me in the 3 minute conversation and was defensive from the beginning of the phone call. I was appalled quite frankly. This is a Christian organization and yes, I expect to be treated as such.

So, I hung up the phone, vented to Jamie a bit, and called the church. I'm now awaiting a phone call from the director of the Upward program, because I put in a request to change squads. This is not like me in the least. In life, sometimes we are dealt people that are harder to work with and I think sometimes that means sucking it up and dealing with it and making the best of the situation. Life is not all peachy and happy.

However, this is a Church program and I refuse to be treated like I don't matter. I do not expect people to be perfect. Nobody is, but I do expect a mutual respect. So, I hope that we can get switched. After all, she has already missed her first practice either way, so what difference would it make?

So, I've been pondering about my feelings and the conversation that the coach and I had. I don't feel that I said anything wrong (but I'm sure she may have taken my words in a different one than they were meant). I told her that I was never contacted (nicely) and she flew off the handle and gave me one of those "Sorry MAAM!" when it sounds like a dirty word to be called "Maam". You know what I mean? We've all been on the other end of that from one time or another where the words don't really match up with the tone or attitude combined with it.

I was thinking about why it bothered me so much. Well, because I expected for the coaches and volunteers in this program to reflect Jesus. Maybe she was having a bad day and I was just one more thing on her "to do list". Maybe she took my phone call in a different manner than it was intended (I just wanted the information). Maybe she didn't mean to be so curt and have a tone of distaste in her words. Maybe the list could go on and on and quite frankly, I'm probably not her favorite person right now either.

It just got me thinking about how we are always witnessing. Whether or not we meaning to. It doesn't really matter and that is not what God says. We are suppose to be different. Jesus is inside of us, and our actions, and attitude and words should reflect HIM. It has nothing to do with us.

So, while I await this phone call, I hope that no matter what my witness stands true to who I am.

2 comments:

Dan said...

They called us Sunday, the day before Dylan's first basketball practice to let us know he practiced at 5 the next day. Sorry you had such a bad experience :(

Buffy said...

We kind had issues with the Soccer. Abbi's coach was WONDERFUL and encouraging to her. However, she didn't call until a few hours before her first practice. What made it different was that she sincerely apologized and owned up to her error. We had actually missed a parent meeting in soccer as a result of not being contacted. It was frustrating, but not really that big of a deal.

This lady was just so rude. I really can't recall the last time I was spoken to with such disrespect and distaste and I don't appreciate it. If she is like that with me, what is she going to be like with my child? I'm hoping for a switch. The church office was, of course, nothing but kind and apologetic on her behalf, but it wasn't their fault. I do hope that they rectify the situation though. I was very unimpressed.