Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Papaw

I was blessed with 3 amazing grandparents growing up (My other grandfather passed away before I was born).  They all had their special way in my life. I had a set of parents, then these 3 extensions that treated me as their own in every way. 

In July we learned that my 97 year old Papaw had stomach cancer.  Treatments were very risky and he opted out.  He may have been 97, but no one would have ever known it.  You may have driven by his old white house to see him mowing, on his 4 wheeler or running his dogs.  If he could be outside, that is where he was.  We would often go visit and he'd be sitting outside and that has been true for as long as I can remember.   He had some limitations due to his age.  He didn't quite get around as quickly or easily as he used to, but still was able to walk.  He couldn't see as well, so he no longer drove.  His short term memory may have failed him sometimes, but he was still living alone and even I forget things at my age:-)  He was remarkable and I told everybody that! 

When we were kids, we probably drove Mamaw and Papaw nuts!  Their house was just across the field about 1/4 of a mile, so an easy walk or bike ride away. I know there were summer days where we ran in and out of their house and if we got on their nerves, they never said it!  We were always greeted with smiles, jokes, games, and something to do outside.  I recall during one slumber party I had around the 4th grade, we were bored, so we went of Papaw's and he took us fishing with old cane poles in a pond on his farm.  He never said a word, but was happy to take us on our little adventure.  I used to sit up next to him in his recliner all squished up and he would tell us stories, play games, jokes, or we would watch TV together.

Actually the stories never stopped.  Just in the last few weeks, we learned more about his courtship with mamaw, their marriage, the drunk magistrate that married them, and little pearls of wisdom that can only come from 97 years of life.   I count the last 4 weeks of his life, standing around a hospital bed, a tremendous gift!  Just the Thursday before he passed as I was sitting with him, he would reach up and pat me on the top of the head, the cheek or grab and hold my hand.  I'm not sure he always knew who I was anymore. His mind had started to slip in the last couple of weeks, but on some level I think he realized the connection with all of us anyway or there were glimpses in and out of reality that he realized who we were. 

He loved my children and I'm grateful for memories my kids will have of their great Grandfather telling them stories.  He always complimented my parenting and how well behaved my children were and even my homeschooling.  He was my #1 fan!  He would tease them and snicker and was still doing that even last week. 

Things changed a few days before he died.  It was perhaps a stroke, but we will never know.  We knew that things had changed quickly and that he would soon be meeting his wife, children, sister, parents, and Jesus in heaven!  My sister and I just happened to be the ones with him when he met Jesus face to face.  I can't quite describe that moment with words adequately.  I have seen 4 precious souls take their first breaths, and I have now seen a precious soul take his last.  It was very special to me that I got to talk to him in those last moments, hold his hand, and reassure him that we were all OK.  My sister and I didn't get those moments with my Daddy and I have always been burdened by that fact.  But I did with my 2nd Daddy.  He went peacefully and quickly (too quick to even call anybody) on Nov. 26 about 9:40pm. 

My last grandparent has left this earth, but one day we will meet again!  To that, I have no doubt as God' promises are true.  We always laughed at his little misquotes of Bible scripture, but in the end, nothing matters except an acceptance for Christ to cover your sins. 

I loved Papaw very much!  I woke up Monday morning with the thought, "Wow!  He is really gone!  No more stories, jokes, or his cute little Papaw laugh"  It is all gone from this earth, but I know his Thanksgiving reunion in heaven was sweet!  He was the BEST!  I miss him already!

Now, it is December and I'm trying to get in the Christmas spirit:-)  It is harder sometimes when things are weighing on your mind.  However, I have 4 beautiful kids, a wonderful husband, a precious mother, sister, nieces, and extended family that will share the month with me. 




No comments: