Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Favorite Jeans From a Year ago

The week after the 4th of July last year, I set out to make a new healthy life.  At the time, I didn't know what that would mean or look like, but now that I'm one year in, I will share.  I have been private about my changes thus far.  I didn't want it "out there" because that causes me more stress thinking people may be "looking" at me to succeed (or fail), and in the end I was not doing it for them or anybody else.

What worked for me was very simple and it may not work for everybody. I learned to eat in moderation by counting calories, I replaced the sugar in my tea with Stevia, and I learned to exercise. It didn't hurt that after 3 years of tweaking my thyroid dosage, my doctor finally figure out what worked best for my body and my thyroid is optimal.  I lost 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week until about March when I reached my final destination.  It was slow and steady, but slow and steady wins the race right? 

So, a year later, I find myself 36 pounds lighter, 4 jean sizes smaller,  running 3 miles about 3 times a week, with more energy, less anxiety, and a bit more self esteem.  I had been overweight for the better part of 10 years, so it was huge for me to get to a "normal" weight and then surpass that a while back.   I used to not even be able to run the mile in gym class and now I can run 3 at almost 40 years old and a mother of 4! 



I get up every day and make decisions (as we all do) on what I'll eat, what activity I will encounter, if I will exercise or not, etc.  I didn't "diet" and never used that word. I changed how I think of food and exercise and it has not been easy!  Nope!  I won't lie!  I had good weeks and weeks I wanted to quit like anybody else. 

So, here is me wearing my favorite jeans from last summer!  In fact, the receipt was still in the pocket where I had purchased my first running shoes! The jeans fit me like a glove at the time. 

 Here is Jamie and I at the beach in June of 2013.  I did not take an official "before" picture and I wish I had now!  So, this is probably the last picture of me at my heaviest. 



No comments: