Monday, September 15, 2008

The Weekend Fiasco and Tropical Storm Ike

Our weekend started off on the wrong foot anyways. The stomach bug has been floating through our house for the past several days. It started with Hannah, then me, then Jamie, then Abbi, and now Micah (just today). Friday was when Jamie was the most sick and he had committed to doing a wedding for someone that we graduated with. We haven't spoken to this guy in 15 years and we weren't really best friends with him in high school or anything either. He had regretted this commitment almost immediately since we live so far and he is busy at work, but we thought we'd make good use of the weekend by visiting family anyways (looking at the bright side) and he'd get paid, so that's always a good thing.

Then, of course, we were sick. If it weren't for the wedding, we would have been resting at home in our pj's with a lot of crackers and Sprite. But, we headed the 150 miles towards Murray, then another 25 miles or so to the wedding destination at the lake. Jamie hurried through the rehearsal, because he was so miserable and we left as quickly as we could. He was so very sick. It made me feel so badly for him and the whole situation. It isn't like he could leave a couple hanging without a minister or he would have never gone. He had called into work sick that day as it was.

He did feel decent enough the next day to pull the wedding off, but it was kind of a fiasco from the way it sounds. He planned on doing the service, signing the papers, and getting out of there, but the couple had other plans and things took longer than he had thought. Well, they finally handed him the envelope with the compensation and let's just say that it was kind of a joke. I don't mean to be rude, but it would have been nice to have at least broke even with gas in the car! My dear sweet husband needs to learn the word "no".

It was nice to see the family, but probably would have been more fun on a not so sicky weekend! I'm sure everyone we visited hosed their houses down with bleach as soon as we were out of the driveway.

On another note, yesterday morning Tropical Storm Ike landed in KY. How crazy is that? A tropical storm in KY!?!?! It resulted in a pretty powerful wind storm with winds up to 75 mph. We were without power until midnight, and the schools are closed today. The only thing we had broken was our porch swing. It was like nothing I've ever seen! Crazy! How powerful nature can be!

So, we all went out and cleaned up the yard. Jamie is out there mowing right now mulching all the rest up. I am enjoying the fall-like weather that we are having though.

Here's Micah right before he got sick:

Photobucket

Abbi and Hannah:
Photobucket

Chloe working hard:
Photobucket

And, I have to share. Abbi and Hannah wanted to clean up the neighbor's yard too. She is a young lady, but she is single and probably at work today. They went over and picked up most of her big sticks and raked alot of her yard. I know that the lady will probably never realize that she had 2 little missionaries that worked in her yard that were 5 and 6 years old:

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet about the girls helping the neighbor. Tell them that I am proud of them! I know Micah would have helped too if he hadn't been sick. Poor baby! Well, look on the bright side, all you have left is Chloe now. I hope that we don't get it since we don't have electricity at the current moment...
Deda

Anonymous said...

We haven't got the bug yet. Maybe we won't get it. I'm glad you power is back on. Glynis is still without power and has been coming over to shower. I told her she could just stay at my house but she wants to stay at home. We had some Amazon limbs fall in the back yard. Two of them fell across the fence and broke a couple sections of the fence. In the process of trying to cut off a manageable piece of the limb I tripped. Well, I can't just go ahead and fall like a normal person. I have to run half-way across the backyard with my arms and legs going every which way before I finally give it up and fall. I'm feeling it today. I'm so glad that the girls were able to help their neighbor. They are truly starting their mission work at an early age. I'm glad everyone is feeling better.
Love you all.
Nana