Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Survived Winter Storm 2009

Sounds like a snazzy T-shirt slogan doesn't it? It is kind of the way I feel now. It has been an eventful couple of weeks and I'm ready to get back in a normal routine, but it doesn't look like that will be happening tomorrow since school is out again.

When we heard the storm was coming, I had gone to the grocery and stocked up and was prepared to be trapped in my house for a few days. I really had no idea what was before me. I guess I just had a false sense of security, because we've had ice storms before and they are never a huge deal. Everybody is always up and running in a few days. Little did we know!

We were without power Tuesday evening through Thursday afternoon. I think it bothered me more that we didn't phones, because I had no way of getting in touch with my family who also went through the storm. It was a very helpless feeling as we drove around and saw that almost the entire city was shut down.

By Thursday morning, I admit, I was getting scared. It was about 50 degrees in our home and I had no idea how long we would be without power. I looked at Jamie at one point on Thursday and said, "this is really bad, isn't it?" We would kind of laugh out ourselves as we were huddled together on the living room floor (where my entire family slept that night to keep warm) with hoodies, fuzzy socks, red runny noses, and blankets galore. I guess you might as well laugh as to cry, but I really wanted to cry. I told Jamie, "I want to be in Murray" I knew that Murray didn't have power either, but it just seemed better to be suffering with our family rather than here.

We were rejoicing when we drove by the church on Thursday and noticed lights on (they were not on Wednesday). So, we went and enjoyed the heat and the kids could run around a bit. We were just going to bunk up there for the night when we learned that our neighborhood had power. We drove home and I was squealing and clapping as we came into our subdivision and saw lights.

I think I can safely say that we are up and running 100% right now. We even got internet this afternoon, which was the least of my worries, but it is nice to be connected again. I know that it could be a long time for many of our family (my parents and grandaddy included), friends, and others. Please pray that the repairs are alot swifter than they anticipate.

One thing you learn through this is not to take things for granted. Even little things like going to the store, drying and fixing your hair, eating a hot meal, and staying warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have learned that the saying "there is no place like home" is 100% truth. I was very happy to get the electric and phone at our house too. I felt totally helpless and scared too. My heart still breaks for the ones who are not connected to the real world yet but praise God for what he has done for my family.
DKB