Thursday, May 28, 2009

Potty Training and Children's Choir Finale

I have changed diapers for over 9 1/2 years straight through. A few of those times I had 2 kids in diapers at the same time. To say that I'm ready to put the diaper days behind me, would be an understatement. I have a 3 year old stubborn little girl on my hands. The usual tactics of rewarding with a small treat and sticker chart, don't seem to entice her in the least. She likes getting them, don't get me wrong, but if she is not in a mood for a sucker, she just goes in her pants. If she is, then she goes to the potty like a champ. I think we are averaging about once or twice a day at this point. She is one smart cookie and I know she is the type of child that really is just going to have to make up her own little mind to do it, and they'll be no turning back. No amount of begging or bribery is really going to work.

Another thing that is different with her is that my other 3 kids would sit on the potty at my suggestion. If we were headed out the door, if it had been a while since they had gone, or it was bedtime, I could sit them up there and they would at least try. Not my Miss Chloe! No way, no how! She thrashes about and gets so mad if it is not HER idea.

I tried to put panties on her a couple of weeks ago when we were home. I thought to myself, 'it'll feel icky, so she'll surely go'. Ummmm...not my child! I cleaned up more puddles than I care to think about. I felt like I had a puppy instead of a child and I'm the one that threw in the towel on that genious idea, I'll be honest. It just wasn't working. Hopefully she'll make up her mind to do it soon.

But, you have to admit, she sure does know how to still look like a lady on the potty!
Last night was the final Children's Choir show for the year. The kids were very cute up there. Having short kids has its perks too, because they are usually front and center, so I get a good view. Micah and Abbi sang very well and Hannah was a sheep for one portion of the program. The kids have had a great year in Children's Choir.

It was also a variety show and the kids went up there to show their talents. Some of the kids just told jokes or whatever too. Micah and Abbi were suppose to go tell their jokes. They had been practicing and got them 'approved' last week. Abbi went up about halfway through the show and did very well. I'm very proud of her for facing her fear of getting up in front of people. She has come a long way in the past few years.

Well, I was still waiting for Micah's turn, when I realized the choir director was up there thanking people and drawing the program to a close. My heart began to race, and I looked over at Micah. He was looking back with the most heartbreaking expression and tears were already streaming down his face. I motioned for him to come over to me, and he said, "they didn't say my name...I didn't get my turn". I hugged him and told him that I was sorry and I knew that it was a mistake. His feelings were so hurt and so I sat there and tolerated the remainder of the program with a crying Micah sitting on my lap, but was so ready to make a dash out to the van, it wasn't even funny.

He cried for about a half hour and in the meantime, I had to keep my compusure somewhat. After church, Micah was already with me, I grabbed Abbi, flew up the stairs to get Hannah and picked Chloe up. I immediately went up to the youth area and found Jamie, who was unaware, because he was teaching this whole time. I told him that Micah got forgotten and his feelings were hurt (along with a few other emotions and words that were running through me) and that we needed to get out of there....now!

If Micah had shrugged his shoulders and said, "oh well, they forgot to put my name down" I would have been fine too. It is simply crazy how quickly Mama Bear will come out though when your kids are hurt. It doesn't matter whether it is emotional or physical. If my kid is hurt, then I'm hurt, and you better step out of the way.

We got home and he did his joke for us. We had a pep talk and he ended up fine before bed (probably before this Mama Bear was). He auditioned for his school talent show and made it today! WOOHOO! So, he will have his moment in the spotlight even if it wasn't at church. And, of course, Annie Jr. is coming up and I'm sure he'll steal every scene. At least he will to me, anyways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The position on the potty is priceless. No wonder she can't pee, it won't come out with her legs crossed. ha/ha

DKB

Anonymous said...

Give Micah a big hug for me and tell him when I see him he can tell me his jokes. Nana and Papa will be the best audience ever. He is such a little entertainer. Maybe he can take Conan's place on the Tonight Show.
Nana