Friday, January 22, 2010

Contentment

Philippians 4:10-14 (New International Version)

Thanks for Their Gifts
10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.


Sometimes it is hard as humans to find that contentment that only comes through God. Sometimes we are up on the mountaintop and sometimes down in the valley, yet we are to be content through it all knowing that God is in control and has a plan. Not just any plan, but a specific plan for us as individuals. It is easy for us as humans to wonder what God's plan may be ahead of us. We get discouraged by worldly things happening around us and people do a lot of disappointing. Growing pains often hurt, but God is our father and has only our best interests at heart.

Much of the Christian (ministry) life is just learning to "go with the flow". There is so much that is out or our control, but God is never surprised and always in control. We may not understand what is happening, but he does. He had it planned out before we were even born.

Sometimes God tests our obedience to him even if the end result is different than what we previously had thought. The obedience, in and of itself, brings glory to God! He wants us to be content with the plans that HE has made for us and the timing he has set. In the end, nothing else matters.

No comments: