Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bridge Dedication in Honor of Papaw

Article from Murray Ledger and Times:

Tuesday, they dedicated and named a bridge in honor of my Papaw, J.D. Waldrop. He is 93 years young and proof that you are only as old as you feel. He still takes care of himself, drives, hunts, goes 4 wheeling, and has his wits about him. My Mamaw died a few years ago and I know that he misses her daily. The last time I visited him back in December, he was recounting some old stories. Some of the stories were funny, some were a little sad, but they were all personal. I learned things in that little visit that I had never heard before. He was in a very talkative mood that day.

When I was a little girl, my Papaw was a positive male influence in my life. He would let us crawl up beside him in his recliner, play hairdresser with him, have us looking for cats that weren't even there (they didn't even have cats), and he would always make us laugh and smile. He would take us fishing with old cane fishing poles and we would often get scolded (never too much, of course) for running around inside their house.

Tuesday, they had a ceremony to name a bridge in his honor. I can't wait to get back to Murray and take a picture of him beside his bridge and sign. I wish I could have been there. I know that even though he is healthy as can be, he is not going to be around very much longer. I know that he was proud and we are too.

No comments: