Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sooner Than Later

It has been a rough few weeks. Well, a rough couple of years in the school department, actually. Micah had just completed the 2nd grade when we moved here. I guess, in my mind, I thought, 'it is so much easier to change schools now than in a few years.' Micah was "Mr. Popular" at his last school. We used to get tickled, because every teacher, student, and lunch lady knew who Micah was out at North Elem. We'd get stopped in Wal-Mart by frirends and everybody would greet him when he was walking the school halls. Then we moved here...

We knew it would be different, but I was very optimistic. My children are very social and Micah doesn't meet many strangers and is not the least bit shy. Within a couple of months, we realized the transition was going to be a little bumpier than we had anticipated. We were still holding out that things would even out and he'd find his place. It is tough being the new kid in class.

Last year progressed from being ostracised to name calling to being pinned up against a wall. The sad fact of all these is that he was also punished in almost every scenerio. What did he learn? He learned to keep his mouth shut with the school staff, because they didn't do anything and he wanted to avoid punishment. Who could blame him? We talked with teachers, principals, assistant principals, etc and while things seemed a bit better by the end of the year, I really just think that it just wasn't as severe.

So, this year, we were again hopeful. He started out really well and we really liked his teacher. She was much more personable and down to earth. But, again, it has been a slow progression from "kids will be kids" to "Ok, keep your paws off my kid!". It escalated rapidly in the past few weeks. He has been made fun of, whispered about, left out, called names, pushed, grabbed, and also gotten in trouble for things that he has not done.

Jamie finally called his teacher last week, because we wanted to straighten some things out. He was being punished and basically was told that he wasn't telling the truth. I can tell you right now. Micah doesn't lie! He has always been very truthful even if that means fessing up to something that requires punishment. We thought things might be better.

God had called us to homeschooling about a month ago. We were trying to make the transition as smooth as possible for everybody. We thought finishing out the year would be good for closure and it was already February, so it didn't seem like a huge deal. The past few weeks Micah has come home crying 4 out of 5 days a week. He is not a crier, so when he cries, he is very upset. It is not for attention or to get his way. He cries when he is hurting.

We told him a couple of weeks ago that we might homeschool him earlier if this pattern kept up. It was just too much. Every day, I sit here and worry about what kind of day he was having. We also talked to him and told him that if he said, "I want out" that we'd get him out immediately. We left the option open. He is 10, not 2, and I didn't want him to look at homeschool as a negative thing. We'd talk about it daily, but we never really pushed him one way or another.

He got in the car yesterday with tears streaming down his face. He was telling me about how he was treated. I was gulping back tears myself as we were driving down the road. He finally said, "I'm 98% sure I want to homeschool on Monday". I explained to him that if we got him out, that it was for good. Jamie came home early, we talked to him a bit more and we made the final decision. Jamie took the proper paperwork up to the board office before they closed on Friday, so there is no turning back now!

Micah is thrilled! It may be my imagination, but he seems more relaxed today too. It is really only 3 extra months of homeschooling anyways, so it isn't a huge deal. It is an odd time of year, but I really don't care. I have to protect, educate, and take care of my children. I'm not sure we have done so hot of a job with that by sending him off to that place for 7 hours every day. It is over for him! We can all breathe a sigh of relief!

The girls are finishing out the year as planned. They are having a good year and while I'll be homeschooling all 4 of them next year, there is no point in pulling them right this second. They understand and are fine with it.

Just for the record, this was not the reason we decided to start homeschooling in the first place. There were many many logistic reasons, but it was 100% a calling by God. No doubt in my mind whatsoever about that. The calling isn't about bullies, homework, or anything else. It is about HIM and only HIM and we will do it for HIS glory and nothing else.

So, we went today and picked up some books to finish out the year. They won't be the fancy curriculum like next year, but they will do in a pinch. Jamie is putting together a bookshelf as I type this too. It was much needed and on our list of things to buy anyways. We also found some cute little lap desks since we have no room for "real" ones that the kids will be able to use for work.

So, I guess we will be official homeschoolers on Monday. It should be interesting. More importantly, Micah will have a smile on his face at the end of the day!!!

I also contacted one of my good friends last week who is the creator of the Bully-Free program. He is a great Christian guy and emailed me back and is sending me a book for parent tips. He went through this with his son. I have thought about that family a lot the past couple of years. His son eventually died as a result of trying to find a sense of belonging. You can read his story on the website.

I really don't know why Micah had a target on his back. I really don't. It breaks my heart and makes me not understand people. I think that people have always been bullied, but kids now are bolder than they have ever been. It also saddens me, because I can tell Micah that God created him special all day long, but if he is hearing differently 7 hours a day, his self esteem suffers. It will take a bit of "deprogramming" to get him back on a positive self esteem probably.

Just pray for us as we begin our journey. We are very excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you don't even want to know how mad I was last night when Glenn told me that Micah had been bullied again. I said I can be there in about 2 1/2 hrs. Of course, Glenn being the sane one of us two said I started not to tell you til in the morning. A mother will wrestle a bear for her child. A grandmother will be right there to back her up. Those kids must not have taken the time to get to know Micah. He is such a loving, fun, sensitive child. Even tho Highland is supposed to be one of the "best" schools in the state...just give me North Elementary. I am proud that you we able to get him out of that. I am disappointed in the school system. If you need help with teaching, $$, or a break for yourself, just let us know.
Proud Grandmother of Micah David Hughes.
Pat

Buffy said...

I may hold you to that "teaching" help when they reach high school chemistry! LOL!

I'm disappointed too, but it was all for a reason, I suppose. God is in control and he has shown us many things the past several years. The past few weeks have been chalked full of lessons.

He is happy now and I pray to keep him that way.