Monday, March 8, 2010

Our First Day of Homeschool

I guess I did something right, because here was the result:

And, ladies and gentlemen, this picture was taken before 8:00 pm! I can't even remember the last time Micah fell asleep before that time. 8:00 is standard bedtime around here, but it is usually after at least 2 children get back up for something. So, our goal is always to have them asleep by 8:30-9:00. HAHA! He was wiped!

Today went well though. You know something? I have my happy-go-lucky child back! I almost want to think I was imagining his shift in mood. But, was I? Jamie and I have both observed the same thing. Since we made the final decision on Friday, Micah has been happier, laughing more, and generally more at ease all around. I think the changes were just so subtle that we hardly noticed them until they disappeared. It kind of makes me sad to think what he must have been feeling on the inside that he may not have even been able to put a voice to. Some of the shifts I think we just attributed to him being a "tween," but now I'm thinking that there was always more to it. He is a good kid and he deserves the best! He has always been such a fun little person to hang out with. Now I get the honor of hanging out with him 24/7.

So today, we accomplished so much! I can hardly believe that we were able to accomplish so much in such a short period of time, actually. I'm just so used to him going to school 7 hours, then having 2-4 hours of homework on top of it. It was amazing! He enjoyed himself and was so relaxed and excited. He got up this morning ready to work and was ready for whatever I handed him. It made me even more excited to be teaching all 4 of them in August! It is so neat to be able to teach them first hand from the word of God on a daily basis.

We did go to the school to pick up his things today. It was a bit awkward for me, but I was nervous about it already, so that didn't help. She was very nice and gave Micah a hug. I always just assume that most public educators don't really "get" homeschooling, so I guess that was part of my awkwardness. As an Elementary Education graduate from a state university (and from a small town), I used to have my own thoughts about homeschooling and my own bias and hang-ups about it. God can truly work a miracle in one's heart and mind. That's all I can say. We did walk out of that 4th grade classroom today different than he left it on Friday.

So, our journey begins...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that everything went well. Glenn and I noticed a difference in Micah when we visited on the weekend before he accepted Christ. All the way home we talked about him being so quite, so withdrawn. Then we attributed it to his dealing with all the emotions of taking the first step in becoming a christian.
Pat

Buffy said...

And, we just attributed some of it to him getting older. You kind of expect changes as they grow up, we just dismissed a lot of it as "normal" growing up or adjusting.