Monday, July 26, 2010

The Compliment of a Stranger

It is always so weird to me when strangers walk up to us in restaurants or a store and compliment my children's behavior. Maybe it is because I'm dealing with my own kids all the time, but rarely notice other children are acting unless they are exceptionally loud or something similarly obnoxious. And sometimes, I know that I may be the obnoxiously loud family too.

Today the girls and I went and got Happy Meals. I kept noticing this middle aged lady staring at me. It was an awkward kind of stare and at one point, I looked behind me thinking surely there was something interesting going on behind my back. I finally decided that she must just enjoy watching children and left it at that. I gave her a smile then tried to ignore her for the most part, which is hard when you are being stared at while eating.

When she finished her lunch, she finally came over to us and told me that she just had to come tell me how wonderfully behaved my children were. She said that she had seen several families throughout her morning and most of the kids weren't behaved and the parents didn't seem to really care either. I thanked her and she talked to the kids and me a minute. She even complimented me about homeschooling and told the kids how lucky they were that I could teach them at home.

She walked off and we will probably never see each other again, but it was just one of those moments where you realize how great your kids are once again. It is easy enough for me to think that (and of course I do!), but many times we tend to notice the loud kids instead of the ones that are being mannerly and polite.

Jamie is at class tonight. He was blessed once again, because they told him to stay in the Mayfield cohort instead of going to Paducah like was originally planned. This was great news since we will be moving that direction and Paducah was going to be a little inconvenient. So this saves gas and time.

We are gearing up for Willy Wonka and Homeschool next week too. Life is busy, but I like busy! It makes the time go by faster and with August around the corner we'll be homeowners before we know it!

No comments: