Friday, October 22, 2010

Micah's 11!


r

I can still remember October 22, 1999 very vividly in my mind's eye. I had gone in for a regular check-up and besides feeling the normal 3rd trimester "blahs" and being tired, I was feeling quite fine. I didn't really sleep well the night before, but again, pretty normal. I was already have a lot of braxton hicks contractions, but nothing major and nothing out of the ordinary.

The doctor checked me out that day and I was already over 4cm and effaced and other things to make him suspect that I was in labor. I remember him asking if I wanted to have a baby that day. Since it was my first baby and I wasn't due until November 3rd, I was caught off guard and I was so glad that Jamie had accompanied me to the clinic to hear the heartbeat. Little did we know that by that evening, we'd have our son in our arms!

So, I went down the stairs and was admitted and hooked up to all those straps to measure what was going on. What do you know, I was having a very mild contraction every 5 minutes! An hour later, I had progressed another centimeter all on my own, the doctor broke my waters to make things happen a little faster and faster they did! A couple of hours later I was ready to push.

I remember panic striking me in a way that I had never felt before. All of a sudden, I realized that this baby had to be born, and not only that, I was going to be a mother. Micah was born a few hours later. It was a very difficult delivery where I'll spare the gory details, but in the end, he was born healthy....but blue. I remember the doctor holding him up and he was sticking his little tongue out at us, bright eyed and looking around already. I held him for a short moment and he was rushed out to administer oxygen until almost midnight.

I can still remember sitting in that hospital bed feeling like a complete trainwreck yet blissfully happy. I can also remember listening to all the hustle and bustle in the hallway as I watched from afar as everybody was admiring my beautiful son through the glass. Jamie took a video of Micah and brought it to me so I could at least SEE my baby.

I finally got to hold him at almost midnight and he was still just so bright eyed and looking around. I rocked my baby and knew that my life would be forever different. I wasn't quite sure what that meant at the time, but I was right. My life has changed. I had become a mother to a beautiful baby boy who is now a "preteen" and just the cutest little boy I have ever seen..

God has truly blessed us with Micah and I know that God will do big things through him. He loves the Lord and has many talents that he will be able to use to reach other people. He is a very special young man and I'm so blessed to have him in my life.

I can't believe it has been 11 years. People are right when they say to enjoy every moment, because it fleets by. I don't know where the time has gone! Shouldn't he still be a little toddler or no more than 7 or 8 at the most?

Today we have taken a fun school day to just enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Micah.
Love Nana

One of the girls I worked with told me about an upcoming play at the Markethouse theatre in Paducah. It is called 100 dresses and auditions will be in January. They will be casting several boys for the play.

Buffy said...

Thanks! He is active in the Drama Classes at the Playhouse that meet weekly (he is having fun with those). We are also busy with the homeschool group in Murray. I really really really cannot imagine having to drive to Paducah every day on top of everything else we have going on. And, I'm sure practice would be every evening if it is anything like it was in Owensboro too.

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Micah!! :)