Thursday, November 18, 2010

Our First Santa Sighting of the Season

I always shop in the Murray Wal-Mart on Thursday afternoon. It is just the girls and me since Micah is in drama class. Well, last week, we saw a gentleman that was a little chubby, had a white beard, glasses, red shirt, and boots. Well, you can imagine Chloe's delight at seeing "Santa" in the store. I just played along and told her that he must be scoping thing out and making sure all the kids were being good. That was that...

Until today! Same time, same place, and there he was again. Again, he had on red. I saw him from afar, but didn't mention it, because Chloe has embarrassed me 1 too many times by blurting out whatever is in her brain. You never know how one will take to being compared to Santa.

Well, there we stood in the yogurt aisle and I hear her exclaim, "SANTA!" and he was literally within feet of me. He was standing right behind me. I'm thinking, "Great, how am I going to explain my way out of this one." Much to my delight he turned around and said, "Have you been good this year?" Chloe nodded with her mouth gapping open as if she had just had a celebrity sighting. He said, "Be sure to be good to your sisters too". Again, she nodded. He went on about his business and we went on about ours.

She has chattered about seeing "Santa" all evening. It was such a sweet innocent moment and it made Chloe's evening! I love this time of year with my kids. It is so magical! Sometime along the way, I think teens/adults lose that magical feeling. When you have kids, you get to live vicariously through them and the way they view the world. Christmas is full of magic, wonder, and amazement. Today in Wal-Mart I got to have a little bit of what it would be like to be 4 again.

I love being a mommy!

3 comments:

Katie said...

How cool! The four of us still get a picture with Santa just about every Christmas. ;)

Katie

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that he played along because he made a memory for Chloe. Mama always said that everyone had a Santa, maybe he does live in Murray!

Buffy said...

He was a very nice man. I'm thinking he rather enjoys it or he wouldn't be walking around in red looking like Santa's twin. He probably plays Santa or something. If not, he needs to!