Monday, January 24, 2011

Snow Day!

Friday we did school, then we headed out to the yard. My kids have not played in the snow all winter. It seems like the it has been either too cold, still snowing, or we were busy that day (or all of the above). Of course when you are a child, snow is very exciting. They don't worry about dangerous roads or the temperatures. All they think about is missing school (not for us anymore) and playing outside until their toes are numb and noses are red.

So, I bundled them up in their winter gear and boots and we headed outside. I've never been able to really build a snowman. My sister and I would try when we were little, but we would always end up with a little blob instead of an actual snowman with perfect spheres for his body. Our resident snowman builder was at work on Friday, so we didn't get one built, I'm afraid. But, they had a great time anyways.


I think they only made it about an hour and a half before they were frozen and ready to come in. I stayed out for most of the time, but came in for a bit to thaw out and here they came soon after ready for a warm bath to defrost their toes.

They are aware that the schools have missed around the area and I asked them if they missed having days off for snow. I think it was a mixed reaction. They miss having the surprise days off, but realize that we will more than likely be off sooner than public school to enjoy the warm weather.

Today is Jamie's long day at work and school. He doesn't go out of town this week, so things should be nice and normal for the rest of the week. I remember when he was getting his undergraduate degree a few years ago, and how trying it was sometimes. I know that he works very hard for our family and I appreciate it immensely that he is focusing on his education (once again) in order to provide a better future for all of us. He will make a great college professor:-)

No comments: