Monday, August 1, 2011

First Day of School 2011-2012

Today we started school. It is a big year around here! My last "baby" is now in Kindergarten (officially speaking)! She is the only child I have that has never stepped foot into "regular" school and so there were no tears from either me or my child. I cried at least a little when all my other 3 started Kindergarten. This is a big milestone in a child's life though, so don't think that this has not been a 'big deal' around here. I've pumped it up all summer and she was so excited!




My 2 big girls are smack dab in the middle of those elementary years being in the 3rd and 4th grades. So not huge milestones as far as their grade levels, but certainly growing too fast. 3rd and 4th grade does seem to be where kids turn the corner from being "little" to "big" though and their knowledge, work, and maturity start to show this. They are such sweet little ladies!




Micah is in 6th grade. This is "middle school" age around here, and he has not let me forget this. I know that entering youth group next year will be the major turn in our lives, but I will let him be proud of the fact that he is "middle school" for now. The hat he is wearing was something that he just had to have a couple of weeks ago and it has barely left his noggin since. Perhaps we need to invest in some different colors or something at least. It was one of the first real signs he's had to showing that he will be a teenager soon in his dress and style. I didn't even realize kids were wearing these until he got his and now I've noticed them. My oldest child and the one that basically started this whole Hughes Homeschool adventure.

It was a good day though. There is a bit of an adjustment period going on since we changed out some of our curriculum, but I think it is good changes. A little of their work is on the computer (not Chloe, of course) and they liked it even though we need to get used to how it all works. Jamie and I wrote them little notes to kick off the first day (words of encouragment). They really liked that. We got up and got doughnuts this morning and had a fan-tab-ulous day! I'm glad to be back in the swing of the school routine.

No comments: