Monday, September 5, 2011

Add Another Movie to My List


We just has this conversation a few nights ago at Jamie's parent's house. Movies that we have seen, and don't want to see again for whatever reason. It isn't that these movies are bad, but some are just emotionally draining. For example, Marley and Me is on my list and Saving Private Ryan is on Jamie's. Ironically enough, my favorite movie of all times is Steel Magnolias. It makes me laugh and cry, but the comic relief is really what makes this movie even though I cry every time I see it anyways. I know that a giggle is around the corner and the movie ends positive, so that makes it a good movie to watch more than once.

We watched Soul Surfer last night. It was a movie about a young lady who lost her arm in a shark attack, but had a strong faith in God, and that is very evident in her life. I swear I went through more tissues watching this movie than Steel Magnolias, Marley and Me, and every Nicholas Sparks movie combined. As soon as they show the mother getting the phone call and frantically rushing to the hospital (the ambulance actually passes her), I was in a weepy puddle the rest of the film. She is frantically chanting to God, "Please don't take her, please don't take her..." and I lost it some more.

I'd think, "Ok, the crying is over" then here would come another wave of crying. Even the end, which was positive, had me in a weepy mess. I really liked the movie, so don't get me wrong, it may just go in the ranks of movies that I'm glad I saw, but will never be watched again. Where is Weezer and Clairee when you need them to make you laugh? That is what this movie was missing...some of that comic relief.

"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion" (Dolly Pardon as Truvy in Steel Magnolias)

No comments: