Friday, September 9, 2011

Lewis and Clark Expedition in our own backyard

We have been working on an Exploration unit since school began. The kids (and I) have learned quite a bit the past few weeks. I'm the parent/teacher and still wondering why we have Columbus on the calendar in the United States though. That is not to say that I have not taught my kids about him, but they also know that he never came to the United States and died thinking he was in the Indies. Yes, this has been a topic of many discussions around the Hughes house the past few weeks. Aren't we an interesting bunch?

Today we had fun though. We have been studying Lewis and Clark and how they wore Moccasins, which often tore, exposed their feet to the elements and prickly pear (ouch!), and yet they still kept going. In light of this and it being Fun Friday (every Friday is "Fun Friday") we made our own moccasins out of brown paper and went exploring in the yard. They walked on gravel, concrete, grass, mulch, and a tree stump. I tried to convince them to let me poke them with holly leaves to get the full effect, but they decided against this experiment. I don't blame them!





Ironically enough, by the end of the Hughes Expedition, their shoes were worn on the bottom and their feet was exposed.

We had some good silly fun while learning this morning:-)

On another note, I think we are changing the name of our homeschool. Tweaking it a bit, at least. I've never been satisfied with it. It is unimaginative and boring. When Micah came home that day crying and said he wanted me to pull him out, I wrote my letter in about 5 minutes and didn't care what our name was. In KY, you have to have a name by law, because you are essentially considered a private school. It is kind of too late this year, but we may unofficially switch anyways. This may seem silly to some, but this is the name that will quite possibly be on the top of transcripts, diplomas, etc. so it becomes kind of important when you think of it that way.

In the meantime, Jamie is off half the day today, so we are pushing along so we can go have some fun:-) The weekend is upon us and Friday is my favorite day of the week!

No comments: