Sunday, October 2, 2011

Feeling Loved

We had talked a while back about visiting Poplar Spring again. It has been 3 years since we left there. 3 weeks ago when Daddy died, I had such an overwhelming outpouring of love from that church. It was amazing to me. Just looking out into the sea of funeral visitors and seeing those familiar faces that are only there, because they love you, is something you never quite understand until you are there. My mailbox was full of cards and notes from these people that entire week. I always loved that church, God called us elsewhere 3 years ago, and not until 3 weeks ago, did I realize what we were missing out on. I knew when they reached out to us in such a special way that we had to make the trip to see them and tell them that. WE finally didn't have SS duty for the first time in 4 months too.

It was so sweet to get those hugs, love, brags on my children, and feel like I was "home" in a way. The preacher is new, the song leader is new, but those people in the pews are the same. That church is moving, growing, expanding, and doing some new exciting things. I'm so happy to see how well they are doing. It doesn't even really take that long to get there with that new highway (where was that thing years ago when we needed it?)

I sat there this morning and pondered to myself. The music was more traditional than even when we left, the preaching style was similar to Bro. Dennis (not that that is an insult), you have to dress up a bit more to feel like you aren't the odd man out, but it is a trade off in our minds. Go to a church where they have a big huge heart and maybe not the "style" you prefer. Or go to a church where the teaching/preaching is challenging and thought provoking, the music is more to your liking, your children are learning to have a missions heart, and wearing a pair of jeans is even encouraged, yet perhaps lack something that Poplar Spring blows them away with? I don't know right now, but I'm praying for clear direction in my life. Our emotions are on edge right now and I don't want to run away from something good just because of flaws humans that fill those chairs.

I told the pastor before we left how amazing the love in his church was. I really mean that. It is RARE to find that anymore, I think. It is appreciated more than you'll ever know when life seems to be kicking you in the gut.

I will also say that our pastor at Community is beyond amazing. When I talked to him just this week about some of my feelings that I'm going through, he understood, prays for us, and is working on making things better. It is a 10 year old church with a lot of younger people and a lot of newer Christians. He admitted that helping people grieve is a weak spot in our church, and he vowed to me to make it better. They actually voted this morning, I think, to fill a new position to take the reigns of a new ministry to help with this. It is seeing "growing pains" so to speak from the influx of new people over the past 2 years. In the meantime, I felt a bit...um....forgotten (lack of a better word here) in my grief. I don't expect a pity party, I do expect some condolences and a listening ear, which I lack right now (from someone on the outside of this).

God bless Poplar Spring! I will always consider you home even if I don't go there anymore. It is very special to my heart!

No comments: