Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gobble Gobble!

I have very mixed emotions coming into the holiday season. I love to see the excitement and wonder in my children's eyes. I love to celebrate Christ, his birth, and the things he has given to me. This year is just different. My Daddy won't be sitting at the head of the table. His loss has suddenly become very heavy again in my heart as I was putting up my tree last night and we celebrate Thanksgiving today. I have so many people tell me that he is "better off", but in my human heart, I wanted him to see my kids grow up, live his retirement years with my mother, and just be here on earth a little longer. He still had much living to do and was feeling so good. I know that he is "better off" in my head (as we'd all be better off in heaven), but I wanted him around a bit longer. Maybe I didn't realize how much I needed him until he was no longer here. I don't know. All I know is that there is an empty spot in my heart that my never be filled and I just want to ask God "why?"

However, I have much to be thankful for. God has blessed us abundantly. I had the gift of my salvation 14 years ago, which changed my life and made me who I am right now. I have a wonderful Godly hard-working husband who loves us unconditionally. I have 4 kids that make me smile each day no matter my mood. I have been given the God-appointed opportunity to teach my children and see them grow in academics, but more importantly character. I have wonderful "extended" family that love me warts and all and I can be "real" with and who are my very best friends. I have good friends that lift me up and pray for me. I have a new church that challenges my thoughts more than I've ever been challenged in a church setting before. We have a cute little house that we finally get to OWN and fix up to our heart's content (I'm equally thankful that we are finished fixing it up for now though!). We are all healthy and that is also a gift! And the big event of the day is our furry little family member that will be joining us this afternoon. She is a little gift from heaven and a piece of my Daddy. There will be some puppy cuddles and smooches going on in the Hughes house TODAY!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: