Thursday, February 12, 2009

And On Top of Everything Else...

Hannah is sick! She complained with her throat this morning. I checked her temperature and looked in there with a flashlight. It looked a bit red and irritated, but since Jamie and Abbi have had a scratchy throat cold thing going on, I figured that was what she had. She said she felt like going to school and so I sent her on her way with instructions to tell her teacher if she felt worse throughout the day. Well, when she got in the car this afternoon, I immediately knew that she was sick. Her eyes were glassy and she looked pale. She said she didn't start feeling badly until right before pick-ups, so she didn't say anything. I got her home and looked with the flashlight and her tonsils were enormous, but her temperature was low-grade. I called the doctor, because Hannah usually gets strep a few times a year. I was right, it was strep. So, she ate some soup, got her medication down her, and is resting right now. At least with strep, she should feel better before we head out tomorrow afternoon. I just hope nobody else gets it, but usually they don't with strep.

I will have to say though, this is the first time any of my kids have been to the doctor sick since we've moved here. I think that must be some sort of record. 4 kids and almost 9 months of being pretty healthy. Not that we haven't been sick, but nothing that they needed medication for, which is great for us.

Hannah is sad, because she is now going to have to miss her Valentine's party at school though. Those things are so important when you are young, so I feel so badly for her! I told her that maybe daddy could bring her home a Happy Meal or something for lunch if she was feeling a bit better. I hate for her not to have anything fun since she'll have to listen to everybody else talk about their special party. I thought I'd see if her teacher can send her little cards with one of the other kids. At least she could have those to look at. It is tough being little sometimes.

So, Jamie is planning those last minute details for the trip. I'm doing laundry, planning my packing, and cleaning. It will be a long day tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor little Hannah. Shania had to miss her Halloween party when she was little and she was hearbroke...I was also sad for her because that is such a big deal when they are young. Maybe the others won't get sick while you are gone! I want you to enjoy your weekend without stress!!!
DKB