Thursday, April 23, 2009

Home From the Hospital: Tonsil and Adenoid Free

Yesterday, everything ran on schedule, which I guess is amazing when we are talking about doctors. She left us for surgery at almost exactly he scheduled time of 9:15. The waiting was hard on the other side. My stomach had butterflies, well, more like birds flying around inside and I knew there was nothing I could do to take my child out of pain. I'll have to say though, Hannah didn't really seem all that nervous. She got quiet as the time approached, but she was still smiling.
When she arrived back from surgery/recovery, she was out of it. Her eyes were open and she was saying a few things, but she was not really "there". It didn't take long for her eyes to shut and I knew that she'd never remember how she got back to the room. The nurse had also told me that she threw up back in recovery, which I'll be honest, was one of my worst fears for her coming out. I really can't think of much worse than throwing up on a throat that has been operated on.
Every now and then, she would open her eyes for about 10 seconds. During one of those times, tears were streaming out of her eyes. She never made a sound or said a word, but you could tell from the look on her face that she was in misery. Her eyes fell back shut and she slept for about 2 hours. My heart was breaking again!

As the day progressed, the nurses were pushing her to drink, drink, drink. I do understand the reasoning, but for every ounce she drank, I think she threw up 2. She couldn't hold a thing down, at all. She would perk up for brief periods of time, and would want to drink, but it never failed that it would eventually end with a bucket under her chin. Overall, she slept a whole lot though.

Finally at about 10 or so last night, she laid down and was down for the count. The nurse would come in every 3 hours for pain medication (which they finally changed and that seemed to release the nausea) and for a small cup of drink.

Today, she has felt a ton better over all. She was playing around a bit this afternoon before she crashed for a nap. She is holding down her fluids too, which is a major thing right now.

Hannah was a trooper though. I think she handled things much better than most grown ups. She never put up a fuss or complaint and the only reason I know her throat feels "bad" is because I ask. Otherwise, she would never mention it. She just went along with whatever the nurses wanted her to do. Even though she said this morning, "why did that lady wake me up all night?"

She was excited about all new goodies that she got yesterday too. We have some wonderful family and friends.
So, now as the healing process begins, we pray for no difficulties and for things to go smoothly. Also praying that the surgery will take away her chronic sickness and she can be the healthy child that she was before mid-February!

2 comments:

Sozo said...

It sure was horrible watching her hurt and get sick. You feel helpless and worried all in one. She has a great mother that takes care of her. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we were able to leave on a good note. I was happy to see her getting around playing with her balloons. By now, Micah and Abbi have come home from school. I know that Micah was soooo worried about his sister that he barely slept last night. He was talking to Buffy and Jamie on the phone last night and they told him that the doctor had changed Hannah's medicine, and hopefully, she wouldn't be sick anymore. He said, Good, I was about to have a heart attack. I think his version of a heart attack is one that is breaking for his sister. Such a good big brother.
All the children were wonderful, we enjoyed staying with them and hope Hannah is back to her sweet, bubbly self in no time.
Lots of love.
Nana