Friday, September 11, 2009

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for

You know I'm all about saving a buck. I've actually posted on here many times about our mission to become debt free (which is coming along nicely by the way). But there are a few areas that scrimping is not really worth it!

One of the most challenging things to me about moving has been the "change". I know that change is inevitable and quite obvious when you move. But you do take a lot for granted when you move I think. The doctors that know you before they open your file, your mechanic friend that gives you a good deal, and the school that have familiar hallways just to name a few.

But, there is one area of change that I have really found myself in a panic about and that is my hair. I don't really consider myself "high maintenance" with my looks, but maybe I am more than I realize. I also don't really consider myself "vain", but maybe I am more than I realize. The last time I had a "good" haircut was over a year ago on a trip back to Murray when my old hairdresser did it one last time.

I've tried to be money smart in this area, but it really hasn't done me any good. I ended up with mediocre hair styles, crooked eyebrows, and salon experiences. Because as a stay-at-home mom, part of going to the salon to me is the "experience" too. The last time I got my hair cut, I left in tears and it has been many many years since I've cried about my hair. The lady did not listen to me or even talk to me much for that matter. She hacked my hair off, then exclaimed that she didn't do it like the picture I brought. She ignored me while I was in the chair and talked to the person behind her while using more 4 letter words than a PG-13 movie.

So, it has been 5 months since scissors had touched my hair, because I was having such anxiety about it. I finally bit the bullet and went to a nice salon in town knowing that it was going to cost me. And...it did. But, I called Jamie as I left the salon and said, "That was the best money I have ever spent". She was just so nice and professional that I practically wanted to kiss her. But, I resisted. And, I look at it this way...I don't have to buy diapers anymore, so I can afford to do this for myself. Right?

Chloe's first reaction was, "You look like Shisha (Nisha)". I guess it sort of is along the same lines minus the blond locks. Forgive the terrible photos. I'm not very talented at taking pictures of myself, which is a skill that teenagers have down to an art. My hair doesn't always show up that well in photos either, I've noticed (too dark), but here ya go.

haircut

haircut

haircut

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute cut. Love the back of it.


DKB

Anonymous said...

Looks really good. I just read and article about people coloring the grey (not that you have anything to worry about there). But...it basically said that you can same money on getting the hair colored and spend the extra on a really good hair cut. I was thinking about getting mine cut today....but chickened out...much for the same reason. Nobody ever cuts it the way I want it cut. There is a lady in Paducah that does a really good job but you have to wait about 5 weeks to get in. By then, I have grown impatient and whacked on it myself...not a good thing to do. Anyway, you are right...some things are worth spending a little extra on.
Pat

Buffy said...

No gray next, but hey, I could fine one tomorrow. You never now about those things and I'm sure Jamie will find that hilarious! I figure any day, and the day I find one, you can bet that I'll be coloring it!!!

Denisha said...

I'm sure mama could tell you all about the grey hair....

Anonymous said...

Thanks Denisha. I really appreciate that you think that I am an expert on gray hair.

ha/ha

DKB