Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Waiting Patiently

Psalm 37:

*****
7
Be still in the presence of the Lord,
and wait patiently for him to act.
Don’t worry about evil people who prosper
or fret about their wicked schemes.

8 Stop being angry!
Turn from your rage!
Do not lose your temper—
it only leads to harm.
9 For the wicked will be destroyed,
but those who trust in the Lord will possess the land.

*****

16 It is better to be godly and have little
than to be evil and rich.
17 For the strength of the wicked will be shattered,
but the Lord takes care of the godly.

30 The godly offer good counsel;
they teach right from wrong.
31 They have made God’s law their own,
so they will never slip from his path.

32 The wicked wait in ambush for the godly,
looking for an excuse to kill them.
33 But the Lord will not let the wicked succeed
or let the godly be condemned when they are put on trial.

*****

39 The Lord rescues the godly;
he is their fortress in times of trouble.


We are waiting on the Lord to reveal our path. Waiting can be trying and difficult. I'm not the most patient person in the world, but I think that most people probably say that. I try to take things day to day and when that doesn't work, I take it hour by hour. We've been back a month now. Jamie is loving his job and I'm very excited about God blessing our move by providing this amazing opportunity. It has been the one good thing out of this whole ordeal.
He is enjoying this new way of ministering and very thankful for being able to "clock out" at the end of day and be done with it: nobody complaining, nobody expecting all of us to be perfect, no phone calls in the middle of dinner (or the middle of the night), nobody expecting his job to be placed above the family, etc. I'm very thankful for this fresh start for him.

But, we are still waiting on a home. Last week, I probably made no less than 30 phone calls looking for a rental home for us to live in. I had closed door after closed door and was growing increasingly frustrated. There were tons of 2 bedroom places, which obviously doesn't work for us. There were some 3 bedroom houses in Lone Oak, but the prices were way out of our range. I live on a budget, but was not comfortable with being strapped so tight (choked is more like it).

So, with a lot of prayer and crying out to God (quite literally), we decided to throw caution to the wind and call a bank and see what we could work out with a mortgage. Turns out, it is going to be much much cheaper to just buy right now. It makes no sense to rent and throw it away when we could buy and throw the rest in savings for the "what if's" in life. We've always had it in our future plans to buy, but I never thought it would be happening so quickly. It is exciting yet scary at the same time. It is a huge decision to make, but I know that God won't let us down.

Again, with the patience though, because this process may not be the fastest or simplest thing we've ever done. But, it is also exciting to think that we might be buying a house and never have to move again! I'd love to just settle and never have to pack all my things in boxes again.

I told the kids this morning that we were going to buy instead of rent. They understand 'rent' really well since we just came from that and Micah was practically jumping up and down, because we may not ever move again and he can paint his room.

We've had a really hard time the past 2 months. I don't understand it, but I read those verses from Psalm this morning and it brought me great comfort. I have been angry and hurt. It is hard not to be right now. The hurt has been deeper than any hurt we've ever experienced. I smile and put a "game face" on the best I can, but when the doors are closed and all is quiet, I let it out. I'm kind of ready for "life" to leave me alone.

No comments: