Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Paper Flooring

So, Jamie and I are trying to fix up our new home as inexpensive as possible, but still keeping in line with the look we are wanting. The house has not been updated in a long time and it is amazing what some fresh paint can do for a room. But, the carpets and floors were still a problem area. We knew that the carpet was not ideal and we had a couple of choices. We could either live with it a while until we could save up for laminate or we could do something about it that we could afford now.

I started researching a couple of months ago on inexpensive flooring. I came across a blog that did brown paper floors and she called it "faux leather floor" I was intrigued and researched this some more to see if this may be a viable option for our new home. It looked really nice and would be within our budget.

So, Friday we began the room re-do for Micah (more pictures to come upon completion), and the first thing we did was rip up the carpet. Let me just say, carpet is a dirt trap! I'm now anti-wallpaper, anti-contact paper, and anti-carpet! Anyways, we did the floor in brown paper and we plan to do the entire house this way. It looks really cool, was very inexpensive, and supposedly durable (4 kids will test that our for sure). And, in the future, if you need to make a repair, it is very simple.

We spent under $80, but we have enough materials for at least 1 more room if not 2! You can look at the other lady's blog for more instructions on how to do it . It is time consuming a bit, but what home project isn't?

Here was the beginning of the floor. You can see where I had started gluing the paper in the corner.
Here is a little more complete (still wet) with the stain added. We did this without stain inside the closet and it looks better with the stain, although you can do it either way.

Here are a couple of completed pictures.


I think it'll get faster and easier as we do it more. We know some of our "mistakes" that we made in the process and will correct those next time. Micah's room ended up being the experiment room, but I think it turned out rather nicely!

5 comments:

Katie said...

That's pretty! I like it.

Katie

P.S. I've been anti-wallpaper for a while...lol

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me the mistakes that you made and what you are doing differently?
Did you use contractor paper or just brown bags?
what color stain did you use, it is very pretty - can't wait to do it!
I have a HUGE area to do.
Also, I've ready some use the polyurethane under and on the paper, some use elmers glue, and some use a heavier bonding glue (can't remember name of it) what did you use? How much did you use for a small bedroom?
Sorry for all the quesitons - but I'm so anxious!!!!

Buffy said...

If you click on the "faux leather floor" link, I went by her directions pretty much exactly.

I just used Minwax stain. The color was "Gunstock" (or something like that). I used the watered down Elmer's to adhere the paper. It is less messy, less expensive, and less toxic (and smelly) to deal with. It also works and I can use my bare hands. I also used big rolls of contractor's paper.

Really the only errors we had was in a few spots we had bubbles. You cannot have bubbles! I actually had to rip out a section and re-do it. You have to make sure that it is absolutely smooth and flat. The paper WILL wrinkle after it starts drying a bit, and the wrinkles will disappear once it is completely dry. That is not a worry, but bubbles are. Smaller pieces of paper are easier to deal with.

I used a little over 1/2 gallon of Elmer's, about 1/3 of a can of Poly (I did 5 coats), a little over half of a roll of paper, 2/3 of a quart of stain.

This bedroom was pretty small. I don't know the dimensions. I just finished another bedroom that was much bigger and didn't have any bubbles and it is laying very flat.

Anonymous said...

Hello

Thank you for your explanations. This technique is so pretty that I've done lately.

I am French and I do not know.

I have not found the products corresponding to this realization in my country. I was glued with wood glue mixed with water, it's great accession. To protect, I found only polyurethane varnish, I put five layers, as you and all the advice.

Finally it is very beautiful, but it is expensive because the coating polyurethane varnish is expensive in my country and how many layers it took a large quantity.

I wanted to do all the ground floor because it's really beautiful but unfortunately if the Kraft paper recovered is free, the products used are too expensive.

The floor covering made in this way, I is more expensive than average quality parquet and he said much more work.

I am delighted with the outcome, not its originality but in its price.

Excuse me for the mastery of your language.

Cordially

cjane said...

Did you stain and glue at the same time or did you wait for the glue to dry first? I love the color you ended up with. Abolutely gorgeous!