Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Mommy Brag Time!!!

I just have to brag a little bit. Chloe is reading! She is 4 and she is reading! I don't know why that amazes me, but it sort of does. Now, of course, it is the controlled beginning level reading, but that is the first step. I wasn't even going to start this until next school year, but when she started writing words on her own, I figured she was ready and she obviously was. We'll go at the speed she needs, but so far she is picking things up and doing very well.

We are 1/3 of the way through the school year, and this homeschooling thing has just been such an amazing blessing in our lives. I cannot even begin to describe, honestly. I really wish I had "discovered" it sooner, but we live and learn in this life, I suppose. My kids are learning so much and the best thing (to me) is that they still get to play and be kids during the day! They play outside daily and that was something that they honestly didn't get when they were in regular school. Their self esteem is soaring, because they see where they are successful and if they don't "get" something right away, we work through them together until they do rather than moving on and them being left in the dust.

I know that people don't understand homeschooling as a whole, and I have to say that I was one of those people not long ago. It was scary to take the leap last March, but once I did, God has really cleared the path and shown me many things. It has become a passion of mine and something that will continue on in the Hughes house. You know you are hooked when you are only 1/3 of the way through the school year and already looking how at you'll tweak things for next year:-)

No comments: