Sunday, February 20, 2011

Family and My Church Lessons

Last night, my kids got formally introduced to their new baby cousin, Leah. They each held her once and enjoyed getting to see her. They are excited about finally being "big" cousins, since they have always been "little" cousins on the other side of the family. Leah has been a big part of our conversations for the past few months and especially the last 2 weeks. I did get to finally see her eyes for a moment before she ate her bottle. I hope that she let her parents sleep a bit last night though considering she was snoozing away the entire evening.

It is so sweet to get to snuggle up with a baby and not do any of the responsible dirty work:-) I love being an aunt for the 4th time! There is just something special about getting to be the spoiler for a change. My kids often refer to her as "Baby Leah" and I'm thinking about how much she may hate that in a few years:-) But it is cute and we all love her so much already!

Jamie's mom is still battling her eye issues and had to go to bed while we were there since she lives in chronic pain. Another surgery is on Thursday, so we are praying diligently that this one works and she will be comfortable again. We know that God is the great physician. He can lead and direct those doctors and give her comfort that she needs.

This morning we attended church, as usual. We have been at our new church for 6 months and I think we are already labeled as the "go to" people. I know exactly what those "go to" people are, because we once had to use them in our youth ministries. You know? The people that can't say "no" Somehow Jamie is teaching the adult class for 4 weeks on Wed. nights, I am subbing in the pre-k class for 2 weeks (did I ever mention that I've never taught Pre-K in my life?). Jamie is on some sort of leader committee group and we teach the 1st-3rd grade. Sometimes I wonder what in the world we are thinking.

Our Children's class is in a partitioned corner of a bigger room (no real walls) and we had 12 kids this morning. 12!!! Let me just say, it is a lively bunch and you can hear 3 other classes going on at the same time (an ADHD nightmare). We have a few kids that are a bigger handfull than others and the one that is the most energetic of the group walked in last week with a Code Red Mountain Dew in his hands. He said his grandmother bought it for him. I'm thinking, "Thanks Granny!" But you see, this particular child either gets dropped off without family or rides the bus. I have a special place in my heart for bus kids. We ministered to a group of mostly bussed in teenagers for 6 years and we saw the heart of those kids. They just need to see the love of Jesus. Period.

So, "L" came in this morning this morning and he is always very happy to be there. He also always acts very happy to see us and usually gives me a hug. He didn't have Code Red this morning, but did have a Little Debbie chocolate cake in his hands. He was so happy about that Little Debbie. We had a hands-on lesson today, which resulted in children being even louder and bouncier than usual. When the lesson was over, we were headed downstairs and "L" asked if he could sit with us. I told him he could and I was thinking how in the world I would hear anything with 6 kids to keep up with (Abbi's friend sat with us too).

I sat him right by me and he asked about a million questions during the service. Why is there a wall around the drums? How does Bro. Rusty know how to play them? Why are those people up there praying? How does he (pointing to the music minister) know the words to all those songs? When is this going to be over? Can I go to the bathroom? Can I color in your book (my teacher's guide)? How did they build that stage so big? What is in those boxes?

You get the picture! Even during prayer, he was asking about something. Not whispering, but right out loud too. I finally remembered that I had stickers and that quieted him down for about 10 minutes.

I left church this morning, not really knowing what the sermon was about. My nerves were a bit rattled, because I had hyper kids all morning, and 2 extra kids to watch during service. I left "L" this morning and will see him again next week, probably. His brother is in our class too (opposite than his brother...very quiet) and he said that his brother had been grounded from church. It made me begin to ponder what kind of home he must have. They are well cared for physically. You can see that. His parents probably love them quite a bit, but it is mere strangers that is showing them the love of Christ and feeding them spiritually.

So, I cannot tell you what our sermon was really about this morning. I know just bits and pieces, but I can tell you about the lessons the "L" taught me. He taught me to always show Christ's love, because that may be the only glimpse of God some people get all week. He taught me patience and that it is OK to ask questions. He reminded me that physical needs being met are only a piece of the puzzle of being a Godly parent. He showed me that even as the "go to" people at church that we are filling a need for the body.

I also have to sit and wonder how God saw "L" this morning. Some that sat around us might think he was a distraction, but I kind of bet Jesus was sitting there smiling at the whole thing.

Jamie and I started a class for married couples on Sunday night. I'm looking forward to that to enhance our relationship with one another through Christ. Looking forward to it!

No comments: