Saturday, February 12, 2011

It is finally Saturday!

For 3 days now, I have woken up in the morning, disappointed that it wasn't Saturday yet. It has been the longest week in history! A rough week around here, for sure, but do I dare say that I think we are in the 'clear' of the flu? 2 sick adults + 4 healthy kids = a very messy house with no food in it! We have got to get to the store today, because it is pathetic, actually. Yesterday was the first day Jamie and I both felt normalish. We only did 3 homeschool days, and now I'm wondering why I even did that, honestly. Why do I feel the need keep pushing like that? I don't know the reason for my own insanity!

Yesterday we took off, because I had to go to the funeral of a dear sweet family friend. My mother's best friend passed away while Jamie was in the ER Sunday morning. She was like a second mom to me growing up. I can remember weekends where it was just a 'given' that our families were going to be together. We even rode to church together on Sunday morning. You know back in the 80's where nobody wore a seatbelt and 2 adults sat in the front and 4 kids in the back kind of piled up on each other? Her 2 sons were the closest thing I ever had to brothers growing up. They are are a little older than my sister, so I was the 'baby' in the bunch. We'd ride 3 wheelers, play cops and robbers, and walk across the yard to their grandparents (who we even called "Granddaddy") and get a Yoohoo to drink.

Since hitting adulthood, we have all kind of gone our separate ways. It is sad how that happens, but when we see one another, all that comes flooding back. My mother and Jean remained very good friends through a lot. My mother's last visit with her was 2 weeks before she died. Jean was in poor health for her age (66) and was in a nursing home. Jean lost her husband 30 years ago (my Dad's life long best friend) and her life was never quite the same. She had a lot of problems after that. I vaguely remember her husband, but I was very young and the memories are very foggy.

Last night we went to Calloway High to watch Hannah do a little cheer to the very large crowd (Calloway vs. Marshall need I say more?). She was very cute and if I can figure out my new scanner, I'll upload a picture:-)

I also know that the other Hughes bunch got to finally go home yesterday with their sweet little 8 pound bundle. I'm so happy for them! Despite us feeling like junk all week, I've thought about them a lot. I know they are ecstatic to finally be home and getting to enjoy this special time. I hope that we can get some Leah cuddles in as soon as her mommy is feeling better:-)

No comments: