Monday, March 21, 2011

A Perfect Weekend







This was about the most perfect weekend we've had in a while. It was just plain ol' fun! Friday night we stayed up late with the kids and played "Clue" (see Jamie's post about that). Saturday, we worked in the yard a little bit, put up our porch swing (FINALLY!) and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine! Nisha and Trevor came over later that afternoon, we walked to the park, flew a kite, played disc golf (well the men/boy/and 1 girl did), etc. We walked back to the house to grill for supper and ended the night staying up a bit again for a movie. Of course yesterday we attended church twice, I sat out on my porch swing in the shade reading a magazine while the kids played, took a little nap, and ended the day watching some TV and soaking up some extra "Jamie time" since he'll be incredibly busy this week with school and work.

We also had a proposition from church about a month ago. It was intriguing, but the more we prayed about it, discussed it, dissected it, imagined it, we decided that we had to turn it down. I cannot imagine adding 1 more thing to our plates right now! Our pastor was amazingly understanding and we both said that we'd be HAPPY to be a part of some kind of team effort, but we cannot do this alone....not now! I love being on this end of church again. I love that we can teach classes, chaperone events, be appreciated for who we are, and not have all the pressures from it. Since going to that church in August, I've just felt amazingly blessed and I've learned more in this short while than probably several years of some of the other churches we've been at. That is not to say that all the churches we've been a part of wasn't a learning experience. It is just different and in an amazingly refreshing and good way. I LOVE being a volunteer and playing my part as a member right now.

I think people tend to forget that working 43+ hours a week and going to a full time Master's program and writing a thesis now is really more than anybody needs stress for. Jamie is wonderful to make time for us and he sacrifices a lot of sleep for himself in order to complete his education. I'm proud of him and I think sometimes that I wonder how he is fitting it all in. He is in pursuit of a dream, and I support that, respect that, and honor that. But to just say that he is "busy" is an understatement.

I guess it has just hung in my mind all day though. We just aren't 'used' to this side of the coin just yet and having to tell someone 'no' has never really been a choice before. I know that there are people that will be disappointed in our choice when they hear, but in the end, we answer to God and God alone for the choices we make in any aspect of our life.

This morning I got up earlier than usual and went for a walk/jog on the walking trails that we live by. It was a gorgeous spring morning and I need to kick myself into a better shape. A couple of years ago, I exercised daily, had dropped close to 20 pounds and felt great, energetic, and just generally better. Well, last year, I got depressed, and well, I got depressed...the rest is kind of history. I need to get back to a healthy routine again. It was/is never about a scale to me, but just being healthy and Lord knows that we aren't getting any younger. We'll find that out even more here in a few days:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
We Love You.
Glenn & Pat